Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My Final Thoughts!


This semester has come and gone, it feels like just yesterday when we first started this course. Now we only have 5 days left in our high school lives. To be honest, this course didn’t turn out being what I thought it would be but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

            My favorite assignment this semester was the newspaper blackout poetry. I found it very fun scanning through the articles trying to put together sentences and make a poem. I feel I did pretty well on it and it ended up making me a more creative person than I used to be. My least favorite assignment would be “The Moment” assignment. At first I didn’t really understand how to do it and by the time I found out what to do, it was too late. I feel I could do better now, knowing what I was actually supposed to do.

            The Friday reading was one of my favorite parts of this course. I always looked forward to Fridays and being able to just sit back and read. The only bad part about the Friday reading was the Monday writing reflections. I didn’t like having to stop reading and write on the post it notes. It did help make it easier to do the reflections on Mondays but I still didn’t enjoy it.

            I didn’t really mind the whole WRN thing. We didn’t use it very much except for notes and a couple assignments. The thing we used more was our blogs. I was kind of iffy about the whole blog thing. I never really stayed caught up on the personal additions which I think are what affected my mark the most. Other than that, I thought it was pretty cool using a blog to present our work. Near the end of the semester, we started using twitter in class. I never had a twitter account before this class and always thought it was a little stupid but now I use it all the time. I found it fun using something like twitter in the classroom.

            I found this class used technology a lot. When I first signed up for this class, a creative WRITING class, I didn’t think we would be using any technology besides maybe laptops once in a while to type things we wrote, boy was I wrong, but not in a bad way. Using technology makes learning more fun in my mind.

            During this semester, I have learned a lot about myself and my reading and writing ability. I’ve learned that I have a fairly good reading ability even though I don’t read that often. Hopefully I will start to read more in the future. As a writer, I’ve learned that I can be a lot more creative than I thought I could be. This class has helped me a lot in becoming more creative which is actually something I can use in future life unlike all the stuff we learn in biology and chemistry.

            I think Ms. McLauchlan did a great job teaching this course and the whole idea of involving technology into our learning. Kids now a days use technology all the time, everywhere they go, so incorporating it into our learning makes it more fun and makes kids want to learn. She made class a lot more exciting than just writing notes and reading through a textbook. If I had any advice for future creative writing students, it would be to always keep up with your blog maintenance and don’t forget about personal additions. The only thing I regret is not taking a couple minutes once in a while to add a personal addition to my blog. Other than that, it was a fun class and I’m sad that its over.

1 comment: